Types of Cockroaches And Tips To Control Them
We Indians are so well versed with cockroaches and their horror stories that we can't stand the sight of cockroach leave alone being one at home near us. Cockroaches are always present in a dirty and filthy environment and are responsible for a host of diseases. Continuously on the lookout for food, a dirty and a moist kitchen makes a perfect setting for them to breed and multiply. There are at least 4,500 different species of cockroaches but we don't find them in our common household. It is always good to know the different types of cockroaches and their hiding places which can eventually help you in spotting the cockroach infestation and getting rid of the cockroach.
There are various types of cockroaches that are found in India:
- German cockroach(Blatella germanica): This Type of cockroaches are the most common types of cockroaches found indoors. Darkish brown in color, they are about 15 mm in length, with 2 long whiskers and though they have wings, they don't fly. The German cockroaches are mostly found in places where there's food in abundances like kitchen and kitchen cabinets. They mostly prefer sheltering in the dark like behind the appliances or in the attic and basement and only move about hunting for food when the lights are dim or off.
- American Cockroach(Periplaneta Americana): Present all over the World, American Cockroaches are reddish-brown in colour. With up to 40 mm in length, they are one of the largest subspecies. They have good survival instincts and can run exceptionally fast apart from flying occasionally. The American Cockroaches are mostly found in the moist and humid environment and most likely visible near the drains or open sewers. Presence of moisture is very important for their survival and hence they can be found near leaking taps or near the sink in the house.
- Brown Banded Cockroaches(Supella longipalpis):This species of cockroach gets its name from the yellowish-brown stripe that runs across its belly. 10 €“ 12 mm in length, it one of the smallest genus in the cockroach family. They also prefer a warm and humid environment. An ideal temperature of 300 C is perfect for their long-term survival. Keep an eye out for them in moist places like under the sink area of the kitchen or in the bathroom.
- Oriental Cockroach (Blatta orientalis): These types of cockroaches are black in colour and up to 30 mm in length. Although they have wings, they are not fully developed to fly. The Oriental Cockroaches are mostly found in moist and cold places and can survive in temperatures way lesser than their body temperature.
Below are some quick and easy solutions to get rid of various types of cockroaches:
- Most importantly cover all possible entry paths for the cockroaches into your house. Check for cracks, crevices, and gaps all over your house and seal them with a wire mesh or cement.
- Keep your house especially the kitchen clean. Wipeout any food crumbs or grimes on the kitchen counter or kitchen appliances immediately. The cockroaches are always on the lookout for food and can go unnoticed hiding from your plain sight.
- Make it a habit of keeping food and food liquids in tightly closed containers or sealed packs and jars.
- Ensure your trash bin has a tight lid and if possible keep it out of your kitchen. Clear your trash regularly.
- Once in every two to three weeks, clean and sanitize the sink area, the space behind your refrigerator and washing machine thoroughly. These are few of the ideal places for cockroach infestation.
- The cockroaches can live off papers, cardboards, and clothes as well. Clear your old newspapers and clothes and either recycle them or get rid of them.
- Check for pipe and tap leakages all around your house.
- If you do find a cockroach wandering around, crush and sprinkle dry bay leaves in the suspected area. Bay leaf is a natural way of getting rid of cockroaches and are totally harmless to human beings.
After all these efforts, if you do suspect a cockroach problem, immediately call the professionals to get rid of them as soon as possible before they multiply. We at Hicare provide total cockroach prevention as well as cockroach control service all over India. With Chemicals approved safe by the insecticides board of India, our well-trained technicians will help you get rid of the cockroaches in no time. Our Experts have a decent knowledge of locating the cockroaches in their hideouts. They eliminate the cockroaches and also their eggs and nymphs. Call us on 080-46809272 or visit our website https://hicare.in/cockroach-control.html to know more about the service.