Earlier, we spoke about cockroaches and how to control cockroaches at home. You should know how to remove cockroaches from home if you do see any. Most people adopt DIY or ‘Do It Yourself’ methods, how to get rid of cockroaches naturally. Today, we’ll show you DIY methods while also showing how DIY isn’t the most effective method.
Cockroach species date back to 320 million years ago. They are common insects and can survive a wide range of environments from cold to heat. Surely you should want to know how to control cockroaches at home and how to get rid of cockroaches forever if you are facing this issue.
Cockroaches are social insects, usually found in a swarm. They adapt to different environments but prefer warm conditions. Cockroaches are nocturnal and they run away when exposed to light. However, the Asian Cockroach is attracted to brightly lit surfaces. We should know how to control cockroaches and if too many, how to get rid of cockroaches at home.
Decision Making by Cockroaches
• Cockroaches use collective decision-making when choosing food sources.
• Cockroaches need just two things to decide where to go. ONE – how dark it is. TWO – how many other cockroaches are there.
Cockroaches are amongst the hardiest insects. They are capable of staying alive for a month without food or surviving on limited resources. Also, cockroaches have much higher resistance to radiation than humans do. They are pests and we should learn how to remove cockroaches from home if any.
• A cockroach can live about two weeks without water.
• Some female cockroaches only mate once and stay pregnant for life.
• A cockroach can live up to one week without its head.
• Cockroaches can hold their breath for 40 minutes and they can run 3 miles an hour.
Four commonly found species
1. American Cockroach – The largest cockroach found in houses.
2. Brown-banded Cockroach – They have two light bands across their bodies.
3. German Cockroach – Found all over the world.
4. Oriental Cockroach – The dirtiest amongst all of them.
Almost all cockroaches prefer to live in warm, dark and wet areas like sewers and basements. They often enter structures through drains and pipes. They are also found in large commercial buildings such as restaurants, grocery stores, hospitals, cinema theatres etc.
Most of them live in kitchens, pantries, bathrooms, and places where people eat and drink. Some cockroaches live in wet and decaying areas such as crawlspaces, firewood, and piles of leaves. Housekeepers should know about basic natural cockroach repellents.
Impact on Humans
Cockroaches are annoying pests because they spread filth and ruin food, clothes etc. They drop faeces at regular intervals and also discharge a secretion from their mouths and from glands on their bodies which gives a typical cockroach smell to the areas or food visited by them.
Let us tell you why you need to know how to get rid of cockroaches in house. They move freely in buildings, drains, sewers, and toilets. They feed on human faeces as well as human food and spread germs causing diseases. Cockroaches crawl through dirty areas and then walk around our homes with tracks of bacteria and germs. They contaminate our food by shedding skins. Their skin and waste by-products are allergens that can trigger allergic reactions like asthma and other diseases. Hence, it’s important to learn home remedies for cockroaches and how to get rid of cockroaches in house.
Like houseflies, cockroaches play a supporting role in the spread of some diseases, such as:
• Viral diseases
Home Remedies: How to get rid of cockroaches naturally
We’re here to give you some of the best examples of cockroach control home remedies. If you see a couple of cockroaches, use them. If more, drop these cockroach control home remedies and look for professional help.
Here are the most popular homemade cockroach killers and cockroach control home remedies:
1. Baking Soda and Sugar
A mixture of baking soda and sugar is a very effective cockroach remedy and roach killer. You just need to know the places where the cockroaches hide before using this home remedy to get rid of cockroaches.
Preparation: Mixing baking soda with equal parts of sugar. Sugar is used as a bait in this homemade cockroach killer. All you need to do now is sprinkle this home remedy to get rid of cockroaches in the areas of sightings! Sprinkle repeatedly to make sure that you get them all. This is one of the best home remedies for cockroaches.
2. Boric Acid
It’s the most widely used cockroach killer! This homemade cockroach killer can be purchased in stores and online as well.
Pointers while using Boric Acid:
• To be lightly dusted on the surfaces where cockroaches move. Using too much makes this cockroach remedy ineffective.
• It’s not effective when wet.
3. Soap and Water solution
A mixture of water and soap can be an effective cockroach killer. Fill a spray bottle with water and add soap solution to this homemade cockroach killer. Now, spray the mixture on the cockroach whenever you see it. This natural cockroach repellent requires you to constantly move with the spray bottle and search out for cockroaches. Other commonly used natural cockroach repellents and DIY cockroach control methods include the use of bay leaves, lemon peels/juice, and coffee traps. However, you only know how to kill cockroaches. Not how to get rid of them forever.
Say no to DIY!
These homemade cockroach killers are effective roach killers but they only kill the cockroaches that it reaches and can’t eliminate the main nest. It will only kill the cockroaches that you can see and not the ones that are safely hidden away in your basements, kitchens and drains!
Knowing ‘how to get rid of cockroaches’ home remedies doesn’t mean you’ve cured your pest issues. People think they’ve solved the problem at a much cheaper cost. They think they know how to kill cockroaches at home. However, these methods are not even close to effective enough. They solved the issues temporarily, not permanently.
After trying the home remedies for cockroaches control, most people find that the cockroach problem has disappeared for a while. However, these pests can lay up to 50 eggs at a time, depending upon the type. These eggs may hatch at any moment. Hence the cockroach problem which has disappeared becomes a recurring issue which comes back every few months.
Reasons why DIY is ineffective:
1. Underestimating: When doing your own pest control, you tend to not judge the might of the problem. You learn how to remove cockroaches and you tend to believe there are none left. This is the most common reason why people don’t use DIY for long-term solutions. Pest control companies, on the other hand, know how to get rid of cockroaches permanently.
2. Wrong products: While there is a broad category called ‘pesticides’, we don’t know the specific cockroach pesticide. Each pest needs different treatment and no one has more knowledge about this than the pest control guys.
3. Wrong application: Again, if we do manage to select the right cockroach pesticides, we fail in application. The pest control guys are trained and have a better idea about how to remove cockroaches. They know the strategic places where pests and found and how to kill them.
4. Other issues: Sometimes you may just not know that there are issues out of your control causing pests. This could mean a certain surrounding that is inviting to cockroaches. It could mean open sewage or pipes around your home. You should get help for a full analysis. Knowing how to get rid of cockroaches at home clearly isn’t enough!
Say hi to pest control
Ideally, pest control and management solutions must be followed. One must know how to get rid of cockroaches permanently if they want to live happily.
Natural cockroach repellents are less deadly than the ones done by professionals. These natural cockroach repellents often fail when people stop using them.
Cockroaches are very patient and they will wait forever for the dust to settle down. Literally! Hence, we shouldn’t care about how to get rid of cockroaches naturally. Start using pest control services!
When you are done trying home remedies for cockroaches by yourself, you could call an exterminator. Exterminators know how to kill cockroaches at home and have them gone forever.
They work with the homeowner to discover what attracts the cockroaches to your house. Also, the source of the cockroaches and the ways to block it off. Exterminators finish off the cockroaches but also ensure they don’t come back again.
Critical Steps prior to Pest Control Visit:
Once done with cockroach killer home remedies, you must prepare for the pest control visit. They are way more effective than cockroach killer home remedies.
These steps should be followed:
1. How to get rid of small cockroaches? Clean your house thoroughly and neatly. It eliminates food sources for the pests. When done, cockroaches will be more attracted towards baits rather than food sources.
2. Cover and store any open food. Remove all foods and other small items from counter tops.
3. Clean the kitchen, hard floors and woodwork with detergent.
4. Vacuum any visible cockroaches or eggs before the visit. Clean the vacuum cleaner for traces of cockroaches or eggs. This avoids headaches of searching for how to get rid of cockroaches, home remedies.
5. Keep garbage in closed containers and take out the trash every night.
6. Remove all items above the refrigerator, microwave, and other appliances. Move these appliances away from the wall. Clean behind and beneath them. Open all drawers so that every crack is visible.
7. Ensure the pest control professional has full and easy access to all the places where the cockroaches were spotted.
8. Discard paper products and other unused piles of paper. Damp paper is a breeding place for roaches.
9. Repair any water leak immediately after detection.
Hope you’ve thoroughly read this blog. It depicts how to prevent cockroaches but also why DIY should be avoided. If you read it, spend a little extra money and move from DIY to pest control services like HiCare. They know how to get rid of cockroaches forever. It’s exactly like visiting a doctor when sick. We’re sure you don’t stay at home and DIY treats yourself. Cockroach control professional knows better than anyone how to remove cockroaches, from anywhere.