Yes, the blog title is exactly what you think it is. If you see a cockroach doing the rounds in your house, you can be sure that it isn’t the only one. Cockroach eggs will also appear. You can be sure that that cockroach has carried along his entire family or made a new family in your house. So, please beware. Learn home remedies for cockroaches and way to get rid of cockroaches to protect your family.
What are cockroaches?
Let’s begin by understanding what a cockroach is. It is a type of insect belonging to the Blattodea family, which also includes termites. These insects range from a baby cockroach of 1/2 inch to an adult of 2 inches long. The most common colours are a reddish brown or black. These insects have over 4,000 species, of which around 30 are said to be found in human habitats. Mind you, these habitats mean your houses. These roaches are difficult to kill. They could even survive a nuclear explosion and are difficult to kill. Worse, once they start reproducing and laying cockroach eggs.
Why are they tough to kill?
These insects can live for upto 40 minutes without air and can survive freezing temperatures. They can also live for upto a week without their heads. They can survive a month without food and upto 2 weeks without water. Cockroaches are tough and tenacious insects and can survive in almost all conditions. Now, while all these survival instincts are quite impressive, we humans would still prefer them dead. You could benefit a lot by knowing how to remove cockroaches from your homes.
Keep these insects away from your home. Serious infections or diseases are certain if you let these creatures into your homes. Cockroaches can pick up germs on their bodies as they crawl through dirt and sewage, which doesn’t take much to transfer to humans. Do you see why it’s important to know how to get rid of cockroaches at home?
Cockroaches could contaminate human food with these germs, as they are attracted to crumbs of food lying around the place. Very much like humans, cockroaches seek food, water, and shelter. Our houses and kitchens seem to be the perfect hiding places then, no? They lay cockroach eggs, multiply and the infestation begins. Later in this blog, you will read about some easy home remedies for cockroaches.
Can there be only one?
Coming back to the title of this blog. No, if you’ve seen him lurking around in the last couple of days, know that he isn’t the only one. It’s a call to action. Begin with cockroach killer home remedies. It’s a message that you need to clear up and tidy up before that one roach turns into a roach infestation. Here’s where people start implementing DIY pest control methods and using roach killers.
Cockroach in winter. Seasonal? Or not seasonal?
Where is that cockroach in winter? Most may say that they don’t see cockroaches during the winter season. But does that mean that they are non-existent in the winter? There is no such thing as cockroach season. Cockroach season is around the year. They are always around. As discussed earlier, these guys can survive freezing temperatures and they prefer to go into hiding during this season. And to find this hiding place, they move from outdoors to indoors.
Insects like mosquitoes, flies, and others are mostly dead during the winter, but cockroaches aren’t. They will leave you looking for the answer to ‘how to get rid of cockroaches naturally’. They come for shelter into your homes and find various hiding places. Let’s explore these hiding places.
Where do cockroaches live indoors?
Let’s dive deeper into the various places that cockroaches could be living in our houses. We’re only going to talk about cockroaches indoors as those outside your homes are less likely to cause you harm. So, where do cockroaches live in your house?
- Pipes – Cockroaches love getting wet and being around water which makes pipes ideal hiding places.
- Furniture – They snuggle into nooks and creaks in your sofas and tables and get comfortable.
- Kitchen – Food grains lying around means this is the place where cockroaches are most likely to be in your house. Please learn how to get rid of cockroaches in kitchens, or else you’re in for problems.
- Cupboards/Cabinets – These are dark and warm, providing the perfect hiding places for cockroaches.
They enter your homes for shelter and may go into hibernation for the winter season. However, if they do get regular food, water and shelter, the cockroach in winter can continue to live and even reproduce. It’s therefore vital to know how to get rid of cockroaches at home and how to get rid of cockroaches in kitchens. Let’s talk about home remedies for cockroaches and DIY cockroach control.
Home remedies for cockroaches:
We’re going to go through some cockroach killer home remedies. Some may teach you how to remove cockroaches. Some may teach you how to avoid cockroaches. While some may teach you how to kill cockroaches at home. However, they will all teach you how to keep cockroaches away. Check out some of the best DIY pest control roaches ideas that will teach you how to control cockroaches at home:
1) Boric acid cockroach killer – Boric acid roach killer is a proven home remedy for cockroaches. You can purchase this online or in stores. What kills cockroaches instantly? Boric acid roach killer does. However, this DIY roach killer is a poison. Handle this with care. Keep Boric acid cockroach killer away from children and pets at home. If applied well, this is one of the best ways to get rid of roaches.
2) Coffee cockroach traps – Surprising, yes, but cockroaches are attracted to coffee too. Coffee cockroach traps can be made with no much hassle. Add water to coffee grounds and put it in a mug or jar where cockroaches are seen in your house. You know have a homemade cockroach killer. The cockroaches will drown in this and die. Hence, it’s a brilliant cockroach killer home remedy and a good way to get rid of cockroaches in your house. However, they will try to crawl out of this roach killer. So, try to apply petroleum jelly or a similar liquid to the edges of the jar. Coffee is another natural cockroach repellent.
3) Baking soda + Sugar – Another useful cockroach trap is made using these ingredients. Baking soda will mix with the roach’s stomach acids, causing it to kill the cockroach over time. This is one of the best roach killers. Mix baking soda with equal proportions of sugar for this cockroach control home remedy to work. Baking soda is the roach killer while sugar is used to attract the cockroaches.
4) Bay leaves – These may be expensive to get in stores, so try buying them online. Purchase bay leaves to get rid of cockroaches at home, as they can’t stand the smell of these leaves. They act as natural cockroach repellents and are one of the best cockroach control home remedies. Crush these leaves and places them in corners that you think cockroaches would inhibit. This is one of the best home remedies for cockroaches. You don’t need to know how to kill cockroaches at home. You just keep them away using natural cockroach repellents such as bay leaves.
5) Beer traps – Like they say, all great stories start with beer. In this case, the stories will end with beer. Who knew beer would be the best roach killer and help us get rid of cockroaches? Beer attracts roaches, but they cannot survive in it. Cut open a plastic bottle to begin implementing this cockroach control home remedy. pour some beer into it and put the upper half into the lower half, downwards. This way, cockroaches can slide in but can’t get out. They will drown in the beer and die. Place these cockroach traps in strategic areas of your house. You will be surprised how this homemade cockroach killer could be one of the best home remedies for cockroaches.
Using cockroach gel is a DIY cockroach control method wherein you buy the roach killer gel and apply it in places you may have spotted cockroaches. Once seen, the cockroaches consume this bait and they are killed by the active ingredients in the cockroach gel, making this sound like another simple DIY cockroach control method.
However, this cockroach gel just doesn’t work sometime and cockroaches continue to linger. While your DIY pest control roaches may be a good idea, the application and implementation may not be carried out right. Roach killers could also be ineffective as the cockroach gel may be expired or you may not know the right places to apply it. Hence, this roach killer gel may not be a good year-round solution. All these reasons also add up to why home remedies for cockroaches are not nearly as effective as required.
Don’t DIY. Ask for help!
All these DIY pest control solutions sound easy. But are they really? Also, are the DIY cockroach control methods you use effectively for the long run? Don’t sit at home and google ‘how to get rid of cockroaches at home’ or ‘how to control cockroaches at home’. This isn’t as easy as preventing getting mosquito bites. Cockroaches spread diseases and even coming in contact with such insects is harmful.
While implementing cockroach control home remedies is good to keep the infestation under control, the best way to get rid of roaches is to contact a professional exterminator or cockroach pest control service like HiCare. These guys are the experts and they’ll get rid of cockroaches in your home for ages to come. There’s no need to feel embarrassed if you’re having a roach problem at home. Make DIY roach killers if you want and implement cockroach killer home remedies. However, those will be good for a couple of roaches at the most. Calling Cockroach control is your best answer to the question “How to get rid of cockroaches at home?”.
Learn more about why DIY isn’t the most effective method to get rid of cockroaches.