A good mattress contributes heavily towards a peaceful and a healthy sleep. It defines the comfort level of the bedroom as we spend almost one-third of our entire life wiggling around on the mattress. A good and a clean sleeping mattress is an investment that will not only take care of your health in the long run but will also keep you energized throughout the day. You surely do a lot of assessment while buying a mattress but do you spend enough efforts on keeping your mattress clean and fresh. Here are a few dos and don’ts to make sure your mattress is up to the mark.
- Vacuum the mattress at least once in 4 to 6 weeks. The mattress has a huge pile of dust, grime as well as dead skin cells which accumulates over time. For your good health, you don’t want to be breathing in the germs which could lead up to allergies or occasional coughing or sneezing. A thorough vacuuming will go a long way in making sure you avoid any such allergens or skin diseases.
- Rotate and Flip the mattress seasonally.After every 3 or 4 months, rotate as well as flip the mattress to prevent the nudge of your sleeping position onto the mattress. The simple trick will make the mattress wear out uniformly on all sides helping extend the life of the mattress in the process. The flipping is not necessary for all type of mattress especially the memory foam ones, hence it is best to take an advice from the manufacturer.
- Replace the sheets and pillow covers weekly: A dirty bed sheet is a perfect playground for the dust mites who thrive on the sweat, body oil and dead skin cells that we as well as the pets shed while sleeping. Unknowingly the bed sheets go through a lot of dirt and dust and hence washing the sheets and pillowcases once a week is a good hygiene practice.
- Invest in a Good Mattress Protector: A Mattress protector completely encloses the mattress within. A good quality mattress protector won’t let accidental food spills or liquid penetrate through it keeping the mattress stain free. It’s easier to dry clean the protector than to try wiping the stubborn stains or spills off your mattress. They are quite comfortable and will keep all types of body wastes as well as debris and other allergens away from your mattress.
- Control the moisture in the bedroom: A damp and a warm bedroom is a perfect setting for mites and bugs to flourish. Hence it’s important to control the temperature of the room. Keep the bedroom well ventilated. Once in a while, leave your mattress and blankets under the sun, especially immediately after the monsoon season which help prevent moisture in the mattress.
- The magic of Baking Soda: A couple of hours before vacuuming sprinkle a spoonful of baking soda all over the mattress. The baking soda is a natural deodorizer and will help your mattress look fresh and clean.
- Don’t bend the mattress: Bending or folding the mattress will change its form and the shape. The dislocation of cotton or cushion within the mattress will make the mattress uncomfortable while sleeping apart from reducing its lifespan.
- Don’t let kids jump: Never let kids jump on mattresses. As much as they enjoy it, it not only will kill the structure and the shape of the mattress, it can also cause serious injury to the kids.
- Prohibit pets from entering your bedroom.No matter how close you are to your pets, don’t let them enter your bedroom in the night, especially your mattress. Their frequent shedding of fur and dead skin cells will add to the upsurge of dust mites on your mattress. While keeping the pets away also ban stuffed toys too. They carry a lot of dust and ticks on them and cleaning them is quite difficult.
- Don’t rule out Bedbugs invasion: Bedbugs are stubborn invasive creatures that are present everywhere, right from theatres to taxis and restaurants to trains. It is possible that you would have, without your knowledge brought a bug home and onto your mattress. They multiply quickly and are expert at hiding from your naked eye. Educate yourself on how to detect bedbug marks on the mattress, sheets or bug bites on your body. If you detect any such mark, immediately call us. Check out our website, https://hicare.in/bed-bug.html to know more
- Avoid eating or drinking on the mattress: Whenever possible, avoid any type of foods or drinks on the mattress, even if it is encased within a mattress protector. Because any sort of stain will attract mites, cockroaches into your bedroom leading to an infestation. The stains are harder to eliminate and will also spoil the look and the vibe of your bedroom.
Although these simple day to day rules are easy to follow, an expert in Mattress cleaning is recommended for a healthy and a long life of the mattress ensuring a comfortable and a sound sleep. Hicare, a leading home hygiene expert, specializes in mattress cleaning. With a two-step process of vacuum cure and steam treatment, we make sure that with the mites and dirt even the moisture is dragged out making your mattress fresh and new as ever. Our technicians are trained and have access to unique extraction equipment. Call Hicare on 080-46809272 or check out our website https://hicare.in/mattress-steaming.html for an appointment today.