Mosquitoes are a nuisance, their bites leave itchy skin and bring many dangerous diseases with them. Furthermore body heat, sweat, lactic acid and carbon dioxide attracts mosquitoes. There are many mosquito repellent chemical sprays available in the market that repels mosquitoes. Such sprays could negatively affect the health of children, senior citizens and people who are allergic or have breathing problems. Hence here are some natural anti-mosquito plants under pest control service, which repels mosquitoes. Also it will allow you to enjoy your garden without fear of mosquito bites.
Plants that Repels Mosquitoes
- The citronella plant(citrosum or anti-mosquito plant) is very fragrant. Its leaves, when crushed and rubbed on the skin are aromatic and pleasant, yet repel mosquitoes. Furthermore, you can plant them in the ground or in large flower-pots.
- The green leaves of the lemon balm plant have the scent of lemon with a hint of mint. If you crush a few leaves and rub them on exposed skin, it will ward off mosquitoes. In addition, grow lemon balm in your back door or in your garden but preferably in a pot. Consequently, it is really a good plant that keeps mosquitoes away.
- Catnip is a natural mosquito repellent also your pet cats will love. Considered one of the best natural insect repellents, it is 10 times more repellent than DEET. Crushed catnip leaves will offer you optimum protection and it is a good indoor plant that keeps mosquitoes away.
- Basil (Tulsi)is a plant many Indians love to plant in pots at home (window-sills, balconies, etc). Also called Holy Basil, you can use it in a wide variety of dishes for its wonderful flavor (pizzas, salads). Yet its pungent smell makes it a wonderful anti-mosquito herb. It gives off a scent without even touching or crushing its leaves. The essential oils of Ocimum (basil) provide a high degree of mosquito control. Rub a few leaves on the exposed skin, it will avert mosquitoes.
- Peppermint is a natural mosquito repellent with clean, refreshing minty scent. Experts say it has larvicidal and mosquito repellent. Exposure to a solution of peppermint oil and water killed mosquito larvae after 24 hours. Crush a few leaves of the plant to release the peppermint oil.
- Planting a little amount of garlic in your windowsill plant-box or kitchen garden will help to keep mosquitoes away.
- Planting pennyroyal around your house or keeping a vase of fresh pennyroyal in a room will keep mosquitoes away. Also crushed pennyroyal stems in your pockets, will keep them far from you. Pennyroyal is an indoor plant that keeps mosquitoes away. It is grown outdoors as well.
Flowers that Repels Mosquitoes
- Marigold mosquito repellent is a natural flower that repels mosquitoes. Marigolds contain pyrethium (many insect repellents use it). It is one of the best indoor plants that repel mosquitoes. It is advisable to plant marigold in pots near the entrances or open windows (natural barrier).
- Soaps and Perfumes, for a much-loved fragrance use Lavender flowers that repel mosquitoes. The fabulous scent is relaxing and calming: but mosquitoes just hate it! Rub some lavender on your skin to release its oils.
- Rosemary is a gorgeous flower and plant that repels mosquitoes. Both the live flowering plant and cuttings are equally effective. If you want to enjoy a campfire or outside barbecue, toss some rosemary into the fire. It adds a nice aroma as well as act as a repellent too. Rosemary and sage (both anti-mosquito herbs) have been used for centuries. They give off fragrant incense, added to a fire.
- Geranium: Scented geraniums, particularly the lemon-scented types, are flowers that repel mosquitoes. You can grow these beautiful blooms which are attractive decorative pieces in planters.
While all these plants act as mosquito repellents, They do not offer complete eliminate mosquitoes. People live in smaller flats, without gardens, or just living very busy urban lives. They may not have time or talent for plant-growing.
This is where HiCare’s efficient 3-stage Mosquito Control Programme is invaluable. It gets rid of mosquitoes hovering near curtains, dark corners or furniture. It destroys mosquito larvae and has safe, effective pesticides on water-bodies or vases where they lay eggs.